6 of 13 - Why don’t people who are trafficked simply escape?
- Threat of violence against family
- Restrictions on freedom of movement: traffickers remove passport/identity documents
- Fear of authorities: trafficked person scared of being imprisoned or deported
- Debt bondage: trafficked person owes money to trafficker or his/her family
- Isolation: trafficked person does not know the language of country or how to get around
- Emotional attachment: trafficked person may have emotional attachment to trafficker (boyfriend or only person feeding them)